The truth could have set them free and they would have no fear. Some truths:
• The truth is that the sand fracking has been the same for many years, only the pressure, chemicals, or fluids are changed for different formations. Since horizontal slickwater fracking began to be utilized recently, new biocides and other chemicals have been added. The lack of disclosure of the toxic chemicals is suspect. If they are hiding something it is for a reason, and you would be smart to fear.
• They say shale play is no different than any other drilling; in the past it was called directional drilling now it called horizontal drilling. The truth is they now start all drilling from the surface with TOXIC chemicals and if you only consider fracking alone; you will miss the greater danger. Most of the fresh water is contaminated in drilling the surface without laws in place for protection.
• They say the ARKANSAS OIL and GAS COMMISSION is a state agency. The truth is it was designed by oil and gas, for oil and gas, and is run by oil and gas; and because they judge one another and you will always lose.
• They claim gas drilling is good for our small cities. The truth is they are destroying the small cities. Property is devalued, taxes go up, people are fleeing the area, schools are considering closing, many cannot sell their property near a "dump site" and the rural community that feeds the small city is losing their water wells and will lose all. I have known many a prospering contractor who bought into this GAS scheme soon finds when the drilling ends and production takes over (without the need of local support or labor), that he will lose his family home and all he has gained.
• They claim you have to frack to get gas from shale. No, the truth is, there is only so much gas in any one given spot, if you drill in four different directions your gas well will produce at a slower rate for more years. This would actually create a better tax base for Arkansas and slower profit for the gas companies.
• They claim it is too late to tax the oil and gas. No, the truth is, we can call for a vote if we are a democratic state. Let us have, say, ten percent at the well head volume and retail price.
• They say drilling with air hurts nothing. Wrong, oil heat and air forms a toxic mix, for the same reason you have a pvc valve on your car. The manufacturer will tell you air from this compressor is not for breathing. So why does the state allow this near homes, and schools? Near my home they were using up to eight thousand cubic per minute.
• No oil or gas well produces without toxic gas. All natural gas must be cleaned and dried before it has a commercial value; the toxic gas is most often filtered or separated and released to air near homes and schools. These very toxic gases are of great danger. Also, where ever you see a pipe line compressor beware of the low the noise. It is often nerve wracking. If you examine the scientific evidence you will find that this noise is also a danger to hearing and the heart.
Some say oil and gas drilling (along with production) can be clean and safe. True, if the government demands it. These corporations have one goal: money. They are without human emotions: they have no sorrow, no guilt, no happiness, and no ending. They will continue to destroy until something stops them. They must be controlled, and you, the citizen, have that say.