The Van Buren Democrat reported on this story and said that the Anderson's contacted SEECO. The representative of the company told him the gas can kill you, and someone would get back to him. The Andersons were very concerned about their horses. After being alerted to this story, the Democrat submitted by email some questions to Southwestern Energy. The Democrat asked:
How/when was the presence of this gas discovered? How far can the gas carry in the air? Were workers or residents in danger? Why were area residents not informed? How common is this occurrence?
Here is the complete statement the Democrat received in response Tuesday morning:
“The well located near Bee Branch is currently shut-in and is not producing while SEECO conducts maintenance on the well. The utilization of wind socks and signage on the location are required operating procedures as per AOGC rules when there is a presence of H2S in the natural gas production from a producing well.
“We analyze the contents of the gas we produce to ensure SEECO meets or exceeds all Arkansas Oil and Gas Commission (AOGC) rules and regulations, including the monitoring, testing and treatment of H2S, which is a naturally occurring gas that is sometimes produced along with natural gas.
“Prior to the well being shut-in we were treating the gas onsite to meet required specifications before being shipped down the pipeline.Wow. Really. I was shocked to discover that none of the specific questions were answered, but a Texas two-step was delivered with smug ease.
“SEECO is dedicated to protecting the environment and the safety of the communities surrounding our operations. We are committed to responsible resource development and minimizing our impact on the environment and our neighbors.”
|flaring of the gas well on Round Springs Rd|
Thank you to my friend for her great photographs.